August 28, 2009

What do the letters h o w mean on an Alcoholics Anonymous birthday chip?

The letters H O W on an Alcoholics Anonymous birthday chip are an "insider secret" that is not revealed until you've completed step 8. Lucky for you, I am a level 23 AA grand wizard, and as such, I am qualified to answer. They stand for "Hang Out With," indicating that, for one day only, you are considered cool enough to party with level 15 or higher anonymous alcoholics. Once you've worked to the higher levels of the program, there are strict restrictions on participant behavior, so as to discourage alcoholics from skipping levels, undermining the effectiveness of the program overall. Remember, Alcoholics Anonymous is all about controlling and disciplining members until they conform with a rigid hierarchy that makes high-level wizards like me feel really important.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What an insight. I'm not an alchy yet but I soon will be!

    ReplyDelete